Estate & Yard Sale Finds

The loveliest thing about living in a sunny area, is all the fun estate and yards sales in the summer. I never used to go to yard sales and things like that at all. But my hubby and I have taken to them like a duck to water lately, so I thought I would share a few of my finds.
 
I found this is amazing quilted table runner done in the Cathedral Window pattern. What it lacks in size it makes up for in intricate detail.
The method for making this type of quilting requires so much folding and stitching, I take my hat off to anyone so patient as to attempt it. WOW!
 All the folding and stitching I think would have made me go crazy. Apparently there was an entire quilt made like this, also at the sale, but I was too late and someone else got it...sigh...
Given a couple of the fabrics used in this quilted piece I would have to date it, to the late 1960's - 1970's.
These dark blue center pieces are patterned double knit and the solid red pieces to the right are also an earlier type of knit. Thus they really date the piece.
No matter about its age, can you believe all of the crazy folding and stitching to achieve this look?! Simply an amazing textile!
I snagged this lovely pair of 1920's eyeglasses. I thought they were wild, but they happened to be just my correction for reading, so they were a must.
I bagged all of these fun and funky sewing and crafting goodies for just $2. What a good deal! I can always use them in my various projects and couldn't believe my good luck.
 
I think my best find of all time tho was this custom made, maple, Jasmine Heirloom quilt frame for just $65, still in its original boxes. These are pictures of it I found on the net, because mine is in storage for now until my garage shop is finished. The foundation of which is being poured come Tuesday. YAY! I got it complete with all of its hardware and long and short poles too. I have been wanting one of these for like forever! I will be able to put my old quilts on it to better access their damage and make repairs. How delightful!
The very last thing I found was this lovely large book on historic Pennsylvania - Kentucky rifles. I do love a good history book, and especially one on those talented craftsmen who helped make this country great, and protected their families from harm, while having the muscle to tote those heavy long rifles around all day. This book cost me all of 50 cents and was worth every penny.

The best thing I got out of going to these estate and yard sales tho was meeting the folks that were having them. It was a complete blast. We've now made numerous new friends and even became reaquainted with relatives we hadn't seen in years, who were at the very same yard sales. Who would have thunk it?! All in all I count them tops for fun and adventure. The folks were friendly, the weather was great, and they had all manner of delightful things. Some even served root-beer floats to beat the heat, and others, frozen margaritas.Yummy!



Comments

Popular Posts