Just A Few Fun Finds

 This was not a long stop at the 2nd hand store this time. I don't like to stay in any store long these days. The longer I am in one the more stressed I feel, so I was glad to have my hubby call after less than an hour and come pick me up. It's not that I am so afraid of the virus, as I am of the amount of hand sanitizer now being used in the stores. Sometimes the smell of it can be so overpowering I can smell it through my mask. When that happens my throat starts to close up, and then it is book it out of the store time for me. But enough on that, let's get on with the show.

I was so lucky today. I have been keeping my eye out for an oil painting to fill a spot in my living room wall. I had about given up of seeing anything useful, for I had already gone through all the pictures in the picture aisle and saw nothing. Well the surprise was finding this beauty in the wood and basket aisle. It is a lovely little framed oil painting on canvas that just filled the bill exactly. The muted tones, the boat at the dock, the rustic seaside buildings, topped off with a seagull in the sky. Who could ask for anything more?! I loved it! It is even signed by the artist, Ann Sheldon. I do not know who Ann is, and Foogle was of no help as per usual, but I thank her for her talent and this lovely small painting. At $3.00 it was truly my lucky day.

I tried to get a shot of the new picture hanging on the wall, just to give you an idea of how it looked, but the room is rather longer than wider and I couldn't get a good shot. Plus the pictures had to be hung rather high on the wall to avoid the big screen t.v. so this is the best I could do. I love ships, and harbors, and all things old Dutch, so it is just a mixture of that. I wanted muted tones and not super busy pictures, so it wouldn't distract the eye when watching movies. Now I love to just sit in this cozy room and enjoy my lovely artwork.
This little wooden hand painted Santa was too cute to pass up. Whoever made it must have had fun doing it, but I could find no signature. He is just the kind of fellow that will make me smile and shall do nicely at Christmas with my other decor. He was only $1.99 and is made from a 2" solid piece of wood. I know I couldn't even buy his paint or his wood for that, plus I am no great tole painter, so I am really glad I could rescue him from the shelves.
Here's a lovely 6" x 6" ceramic tile with lovely leaves. The picture here does it no justice, as it is really very shiny and beautiful. In fact it is so shiny I had trouble getting this picture as it kept wanting to pick up my reflection. The tile has cork on its back so I was unable to find anything to identify it. I have no doubt that this is someones fine photograph rendered in the, "Printing on tile", process. I have seen art tiles like this before, but none with the really nice shiny heavy over-glaze that this one has. I was happy to buy it at $3.00
Next I found these tiny little porcelain Dutch shoes and they were just too precious to leave. At 99 cents I thought they would be nice to put in a dollhouse, if I ever get or make one?! I always wanted a dollhouse but they take up a lot of room and I've never really had the extra space. I do love tiny things, but somehow I've never seen the exact dollhouse I want. Maybe shadow boxes would be better?! For now they shall just hang on the wall or be in my china cabinet.
As I was in the checkout getting ready to leave, I saw these socks hanging on a peg and was so glad. Clear Creek is a very good sock maker and these lovely socks were just what I was looking for to wear with my 18th century Dutch dress and my old wooden shoes. Two pairs for $6.99 is a good price for this brand of sock. These sell on Amazon for from $18 - $20 depending on the style. When I am not wearing them under my Dutch dress they shall work very well at any time during our harsh cold winters. I am already dreaming of my warm toasty feet instead of bitter cold toes.


Comments

Carla said…
I was interested to hear you like Dutch things. Do you have Dutch Ancestry that you know about? I am the family history person working on our common ancestors of the Robison/Robinson line. Using the Y matches on Family Tree we have one no mismatch. A person who perhaps has an ancestor who comes from Robinsons/Robisons intermarried with Dutch families in New York state.
Gomberling said…
Not having been able to trace my Robison family lines past my 3rd grt. grandfather, James W. Robison and his wife, Mary Ellen Rogers, I do not know of any Dutch ancestry up that family line. I do have Dutch ancestry up other lines, as does my husband, tracing back to Dutch families that came to this country, and lived in the Dutch colony of New Netherland, now New York, in the 1600's.

Popular Posts