A Fabricatted Tale Part II

 I have been working away on the quilt again. I can't seem to get enough of those silly Cats. I decided what the quilt panel needed was simply more Cats. I carefully cut them out of the fabric and appliqued them onto the piece just where I wanted them. This type of cloth modification has been going on since the 17th century, and probably even earlier. If you don't have the fabric you want, just modify and make it you own. Tho this piece seems to be taking on a life of its own. How delicious!

I just love this embroidery frame my son bought me off Amazon. It has come in so handy for doing all these crazy cats. It is nice to sit and watch a show and do a cat at the same time. So much quicker than a hoop, and good for wider pieces like this.
I started out with the idea of just adding a few cats to the center panel, but as it went there just seemed to be more and more cats in the gang. I don't know yet if there will be more. Time will tell.
I thought you might like to see some of these cats up close. The stitching is so funny too because it makes them look all scraggly which is just the effect I was going for. I still need to embroider all of their details which is going to be some task.
Here is that nice blue spider warning the monster of the cat about to land. Sadly it was too late and the poor monster got a cat foot in the eye.
Imagine the feelings of this monster as this crazy cat flew over his head. He had ducked just in time for it to miss him by a hair.
This whole line of monsters wound up in a jumbled heap. Sadly I do not have a picture of that, they complained to me long after that it was a matter of their dignity so they had destroyed the picture. They weren't about to let their sad shredded selves be put into the public domain for everyone to laugh at.
As you can see this poor fellow is completely addled by the cats and he simply doesn't know what to do?! I thought about putting a cat on his head too. I just can't make up my mind. Cat or no cat that is the question?! Yikes!
Now this is supposed to be a bat flying overhead, I think, but to me it looks more like a fat owl. However, we will just call it a really fat bat, as no owls so far have come into this story. Just seeing it flying overhead sent the cat to arching its back and hissing. He better pray it's a bat, because certain owls are sure death to cats.

As you can see I have gone all out with some nice trims I had in my stash. I don't know what it is exactly about center medallion quilts that I like so much?! But I really do like them. Maybe it is because they are so frugal in the use of the fabric and you can sew them together with relative ease. As a newby at quilting, I'm just not up to the task of something super complicated yet. Tho sewing 26 crazy looking cats onto this piece was a lesson in how to plug away at something, I can tell you.

And as if that wasn't enough, I had this star-burst fabric that was just what I wanted for color on the border, but it wasn't quite right. So I have set myself the task of making the star-bursts all into cobwebs.

40 years later...I'm sure once they are all embroidered and quilted they will be just the thing. Making spiderwebs with a fine tipped sharpie it something of a challenge, but I do like a good challenge. Just keep telling yourself that...

I will bid you farewell for now, and hope to keep you all posted, as I get further along in this quilt. So far it has been loads of fun. With a bit of tedium thrown in for good measure. ha ha ha



Comments

Popular Posts