1st And Only Gathering at Boone's Station

 On a sunny morning our group of intrepid frontiersmen and woman, gathered together for the very first time to occupy the camp at Boone’s Station on Mount Kilauea. What we lacked in numbers we made up for in spirit, and led by our fine host and leader, Mr. Boone, we commenced the eating of a fine breakfast of eggs, ham, cornbread, and sweet cakes. 
The camp was well accoutered, including such useful items as long rifle’s, powder horns, leather bags, jugs, and a rough box for cooking utensils. This boded well for the gathering, and was the sure sign of a masterfully appointed, well guarded, and thought out camp. Several cut logs, encircling the fire, were sat upon while we drank our coffee and all agreed that there was no better tasting coffee than that supplied by our kind host.

Upon our arrival, he had taken a coffee pot from off the fire, and had proceeded to fill our tin cups. Having first placed ground coffee in a linen scrap over our cups. To me it seemed a novel approach, but was very effective, for the linen sieved the grounds, while the boiling water poured over, brewed it to perfection. This was much preferred to the boiled bean method I had been subjected to in many of my travels.
I brought with me a few items to camp, such as a pewter lidded tankard, which came from the,“Old Stone House”, our family home in Kentucky; a small pale orange pocket, which contained my huswif, both of which had belonged to grt. grandma May Roberts, (It carried hers and  my sewing needles very nicely.); A hand-woven linen shawl, made by mom, Maryann Hanners, which I left in my sewing basket, for the morning was over warm. My basket also held a pair of hand sewn breeches I have been making for our host, Mr. Boone, which I will be sharing here at a later date. Lastly I had pinned to my neck-scarf, a pair of very old glasses that had belonged to a grt. grt. grandmother, who like myself could not do close-work without them. 
 
A half shelter of stalwart logs was the main focus of the camp, and was at our hosts back as he sat before the fire. He was dressed as a scout, for most assuredly that is what he is. His hunting shirt of striped linen showed the wear of years, as did his breeches of dark brown linen, and his rough leather legging’s, that nearly covered his worn leather moccasins. Years of living in the wilderness had etched its lines upon his face. His hair, showing signs of grey, was long and fair, falling below his shoulders. His eyes when he looked at you, were piercing, and sparked with a flame not made by the reflections of the campfire. When he stood, he was tall and lean of frame, and spoke with a deep-timbered voice. You knew the wilderness had made him the man he was, for he was a man of wisdom and courage, who had faced much adversity, and we were glad to have him as our leader.
A fellow frontiersman, Ben, was well dressed out in black felt hat, rough linen shirt, neck scarf, grey knee breeches, knit stockings, and leather moccasins too. He being in descent from the Pawnee, is a welcome addition to our company. His rugged strength aided greatly in the construction of the half shelter and camp, under the guiding hands of Mr. Boone, and we are all very grateful for his talents.
As for myself, Lysbeth, being of Dutch descent, went dressed in my traditional traveling clothes, for when I journey to outlying camps or stations, my settlement clothing will not do. My clothing therefore was of rough cotton. My skirt dyed indigo blue, was covered by an over-skirt of madder red. My old bonnet, neck-scarf, and soiled apron, left sun bleached white. A rather ragged blue checked short-gown, and black cloth slipper shoes, completed the ensemble. I thought all were well suited to the occasion, yet they would have caused sniffs of distaste, in my friends back in Williamsburg. They do not understand my love of the wilderness, and would fain I give up my travels there. But as I am a teacher, historian, as well as a tailor, and enjoy such travels to gatherings, I shall not listen to their strident remonstrations, but hope only to bring to our company whatever of my talents may be needed.
An additional bright spot to the occasion was the visit of family and friends, Tamara and Seth, who aroused by curiosity, took the time to climb the hill, and stayed to chat and inspect our accouterments and camp were most welcome. It was very enjoyable to speak with them about the camp, and even about some of our frontier history. Sadly, I did not capture a likeness of Tamara, the spouse of Mr. Boone, but do hope that she will return in future, for we found her company exceedingly enjoyable.
The gathering, I feel, was a huge success. Conversations abounded, as all were finding the thorough enjoyment which comes with mutual interests, attitudes, and curiosity sated.

All too soon however the time of our gathering was over, and we had to depart, each to our separate homes. As I wended  my way once more down the mountain, I knew my journey had been worth the effort and would remain in my memory, for years to come, as one of the most pleasant.


Comments

Popular Posts