Zapotec Rug And Other Great Finds

I had a small accident this week, while using a bread knife. I found out just how sharp the silly thing is. Fortunately I didn't cut the tip of my finger completely off, but it was a close thing. It is still a bit painful, but mostly I am just feeling so stupid for being hasty, and not more careful. It is a truism that most accidents happen in the home and it should be a caution to all of us.

Having said all of this, it has not kept me from thrifting in the slightest. I found you can cut the finger off of a non-latex glove, pull it over the bandage on your finger, tape it down and carry on. At least it has worked really well for me.

My hubby knew just how bad I felt, so he took me thrifting the very next day to help me feel better. I am so happy he did because I found some things I really liked. Here they are for you to enjoy.
Finds like this Zapotec rug are one of the reasons I love to go thrifting. I paid $9.99 for this lovely rug and I thought when I read the tag I was seeing things. It is in mint condition and measures 53" x 74" with a four inch fringe on each end. The colors are simply stunning and the wool weaving brilliant. If you want to know more about Zapotec weaving here is a link to a very good article.  https://www.tripsavvy.com/oaxaca-rug-weaving-1589061
These types of lovely rugs are made in Oaxaca, southern Mexico. The people of that region have been making rugs for centuries. I love the bright colors, and the patterns are very pleasing in this one too. This was used as a wall hanging by its prior owner and I think that is what I will be using it for also. It should look very lovely hanging in the staircase of my new shop or possibly a wall in my new house?!
This small watercolor was sitting on the picture shelf and I had seen it three or four times on my visits. Each time I had thought about getting it, but hadn't. I thought if I go in there one more time and it is still there I will get it. It was, so there ya go.
This little picture is so darling and it made me grin every time I saw it. So home it came with me and I'm glad. The cats are so funny, they've gone to the birds! Birds of a feather may flock together, but cat's of a fur are true friends for sure! The artists name is Alverina and she painted this in 1993. I don't know who this artist is, but she paints cute cats and birds, that is for sure!
Now I think these little wooden hearts I found, on a wire, will hang very sweetly next to the kitty picture, don't you? I think it will do nicely. Hugs and kisses all around!
Right down the shelf from the kitty picture were these pretty little shadow box framed Holly Hobbie 3D picture cutouts. These brought back sweet memories of yesteryear. I had a girlfriend in high school who could draw the cutest little Holly Hobbie girls you ever saw. These reminded me of her and so I just had to have them. Written on the backs are, Christmas 1973, and as best I can read, Made by Ruth Miller. I do know that these little pictures were sold as hobby kits by Halmark in the 1970's, and whoever the Ruth is, I want to thank her for a job well done. These are simply adorable.
Next in the lamp isle I found this colorful lampshade. I thought this was sure to brighten up a dark room, and some of my lamps could use a bit of brightening. At $2.99 I wasn't going to pass it up.
You know by now I am never one to pass up a good quilt book, and this one was practically screaming, "buy me!" So I did! ha ha ha I know I will get endless amounts of inspiration from it.

This wonderful Edmunds quilters frame can still be purchased at Joann Fabrics for $75, but why do that if you can pick it up at Goodwill in perfect condition for $7.99?! I snatched this up almost as the fellow was setting it down. He asked me what on earth it was, as he couldn't figure it out?! I told him, and he and I both went away pleased.
I thought I would be ending my blog on finding the Edmunds quilting frame, but as luck would have it, I was back in the store the very next day and found this unfinished piece that is in dire need of quilting. It was framed up in a nasty wooden frame with plastic cover, and taped at the back with masking tape...shudder...I felt it needed a rescue, and it fits the Edmunds frame perfectly. Now if my finger would just hurry up and heal, I will get right to it.
I couldn't help picking up another of these cute little dolls. When my shop is finished I want to try my hand at redoing some of them. I thought it might make for a fun challenge, and this one still had her clothes on. Woo! Hoo!
 Right at the last, before I was leaving the store, I saw this lovely book, Mushrooms of North America. I am an avid mushroom hunter, my favorite being Chanterelle's. I like to dry them in a food dryer, bag them up and freeze them. That way I can use them for soups and gravies in the winter. I may even make a wild mushroom ketchup like my friends at Townsends. Jon Townsend is noted for, among other things, his wonderful 18th century cooking video's. He also has a delightful store selling all kinds of 18th century clothes and accoutrements. Check out his Youtube channel and store at the following links. You might just find him as fun and interesting as I do.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson  and https://www.townsends.us/



Comments

Popular Posts