Hawaii Yard & Garden

We have been very busy of late, trying to settle into our new place. I have done a great deal of work in the yard, trying to improve the landscape, since the hurricane took away most of our ohia tree's. It has been hot work, but very rewarding, and certainly is an improvement, from our once barren landscape.
Yesterday with the help of our friends, Ricky and Wesley, we were able to put in this bed, for my red palms, tea's, and gardenia bush. It was really nice to get them in, as they were suffering in their plastic pots, and I really needed to get them in the ground. It is dry season here, and there has been no rain for almost three weeks, so I am sure they will be much happier now, in their cinder-soil garden bed.
I will say, it was a bit smoky, and I had to wear a mask on my face, in order to work. This is a view of the smoke coming up from the lava flow, 8 miles from our house. As you can see, it looks like a house on fire in the distance. Most of the time however, the wind drifts it away from us, and it generally only plumes like this, when it has run into a bunch of brush or tree's, and of course someones house. Tho no one is in danger of that at present. If you listen to the news media however, you would think we were all panicking, which is simply not the case. They love telling about every little tremor we get here too, which you could feel more shake from a passing semi-truck. It is all hoopla, to make people think it is very dangerous here, when it is no worse, than anywhere else on planet earth. The News Media, fear mongers all!
I will close with this picture of a cloud I took, looking towards Mono Kea. We get some great clouds here, and this one looked so much like a pig, I couldn't help photo shopping in an eye for him. It reminded me of the old saying, "When Pigs Fly!" Well this one certainly did. It flew right over the mountains to Kona.



Comments

Popular Posts