Up-cycled Old Card Stand

I know you are all hoping to see another quick project, but sadly this one, I didn't get pictures of, so I am just going to tell you about it.

For some time now I have been dragging around, an old card stand. You know the type, they have a center pole, and they stand on a set of roller wheels. They swivel, and have racks that merchants fill with cards, for Christmas, birthdays, and you name it. Well this one had served the purpose in my shop, of holding yarn balls and decorative trims, which was all well and good, but I wasn't really happy with it. However, I had also in my shop, the top, just the top, to a dress makers dummy that I had bought really cheap, because in the store that had it someone had broken the pole off, that stood the dummy up. Now I had been thinking on how I could get a new pole for her, when it struck me. Why don't I modify the old card rack?!

Today, I suited that thought to action, and even engaged my husbands help. I removed all the old card rack parts, which left just the pole and the rolling wheels. He cut off the center pipe to the proper length with a hand saw, while I held it steady in the teeth of his vice. Next he drilled the hole in the bottom of the dummy larger, to fit the metal pole. In it slid, and bing, bang, boom, a new dressmakers stand was born. YIPPY!
The very first thing I did, was put my 18th century Dutch dress on it. It worked to perfection. Isn't the scarf she is wearing beautiful?! It was a gift from my very talented daughter, Vonnie.
Here is a closeup of the front of the shawl, and also you can see how nicely my bonnet sits on top.
Here is another view, this is of the back of the shawl, and my bonnet. As I said in my prior post about this dress, the bonnet was make from up-cycled old linens.
As you can see from this back view of my dress, the old card rack is going to work perfectly to keep my dress up out of the dust, or having to keep it folded up in a drawer or in a box. I think it makes a lovely display for my shop, don't you?! I do love it when a plan comes together. Even the rack scraps and cut off pipe were recycled.




Comments

Popular Posts