Trip Around The World Quilt and other great finds

It's not often that I get so lucky as to find two quilts in one day and even more so from the very same shop, but such was the case when I took a short trip to The Dalles, Oregon a short time ago. I went into a lovely place by the name of Red Wagon Antiques. The rest they say is history.
However, before I get to today's quilt I wanted to share a few finds from a shop just down the street from Red Wagon Antiques, called, Breezeway Boutique Antiques & Gifts. This is a much smaller shop, but fun, and well worth a look-see.
Now I don't know about you, but sometimes I can't resist humorous old postcards like this. I grew up when outhouses were still very much in use, and can so relate to this fellows predicament.
I will admit I am a sucker for all things Dutch. One look at this postcard and I was sunk. Aren't they just the cutest?!
As I continued thumbing through the postcards, what should catch my eye but this picture postcard dating from 1904-08, showing the Presby Mansion in Goldendale, Washington. It was a must have. I have shared here in the past about this mansion, and my families history with it, so you can imagine my delight in finding this card. This was taken when the Presby's were still in residence.
Soon after the cards above, I found these last two. I don't know who these young boys are, but their picture was taken in Goldendale. I thought them so sweet posing there with the tricycle I couldn't resist it. William Pendleton Flanary, the photographer, started his photography business in Goldendale in the 1880's, together with his married sister, Mrs. Sonora Hess. He continued in business with her until 1900, then quit and left Goldendale for a short time, but returned and opened another photography shop on his own. This picture dates from the period of his first shop. The tricycle which is most likely a prop owned by the business, dates from circa 1900, which helps date the age of the photo, which is a cabinet card.
This cabinet card comes from the very same shop as above, and was also taken by William Pendleton Flanary in Goldendale. William must have been a very patient man, and a good photographer, as even today children are very difficult to photograph. Add in the dog and it is no wonder that parts of this photo are not sharp and as clear as they could be. This little fellow is utterly adorable all decked out in his Scottish attire. His picture too dates from the period of Williams first shop. I wonder who he could be?

Now to the quilt. This one, as you can see from the title above is called, Trip Around The World, or in Amish country, in Pennsylvania, Sunshine and Shadow. It is 93" x 97" and has no batting, but is lined with a thin sheet. I guess you would call it more of a coverlet than a quilt for that reason. The tag on the quilt said it dates from the 1930's to the 40's, and sadly once again I have no details as to its maker.
The immense talent of the woman who made this quilt is very apparent in her use of color, her fine stitching, and her use of many 2" x 2" squares.
I was entranced from the moment I picked it up, and thought of all the long hours it must have taken to sew this all together.
 I really like this ladies fabric choices, and how she set the light and dark blocks. I find it stunning.
I was also impressed with her edge finish, as it is a turned under knife edge, using the blocks edges to determine the finished shape.
There is some very sad damage to two of the edges which I can only assume was from tucking this quilt into the head or foot of a bed, or both. If it were deeper I would think a beard, but the damage is simply too narrow. Sometimes those old wrought iron bedsteads could really inflict some damage. Wooden ones did too, if the quilt was large enough to tuck under the foot clear to the metal box springs.
The back sadly also shows staining, rather like that made from water. I almost feel this poor quilt was stored and the building it was stored in suffered a leak.
 This shows the lovely grid pattern of stitching. This lady was talented indeed.
This picture shows, if you look closely, that the thin cloth liner did not reach all the way to the bottom inside. I wonder if she couldn't afford to purchase more cloth?
You might wonder why it is that I keep buying quilts with obvious damage and flaws?! Well in this instance it would be because the lady who owns the Red Wagon Antique Shop, claimed to keep all the best quilts for herself. Now that might annoy some folks, but I like a well loved, but not reduced to rags quilt. I am hoping thereby to educate myself about quilts in all their stages. The skill of the maker and the quilts wear patterns can tell a story. A story of unknown women in American history.




Comments

Popular Posts