Postage Stamp Double Irish Chain Scrappy Quilt & More

Whew! I am just getting caught up with all my blogging. Being out with gallbladder surgery is no joke. Happily I am swiftly mending and able to get out and see places and do some of the things I love to do.
This weekend I thought I would be bringing you pictures from the Hood River Harvest Festival, but sadly I thought it such a disappointment I didn't take a single picture while there. It had none of the mood of past festivals and the high prices just made me choke. I saw one nice jacket I would have liked to own, but the tag read $247, I nearly fell down in a faint from shock. My son and I retreated swiftly to the parking lot and decamped!
The visit ended so abruptly we were left with time on our hands, so we decided to check out one of the 2nd hand shops we love to go to in the Hood River Valley. We had a smashing good time and came away with some very good deals and didn't nearly die of sticker shock in the process.
Here are our finds.
Wonder of wonders, I found this lovely quilt. Tho only twin size, it makes up for in size with its fantastic detail. This is a Postage Stamp quilt, done in a Double Irish Chain pattern, and is made up of one inch by once inch square's of delightful feed sack fabric scraps. I believe it dates to the 1930's but maybe earlier.
I have never seen a postage stamp quilt in person before, and the sewing skill of the unknown maker of this quilt is astounding. At 11 and 12 stitches to the inch, it is by far the most delicate and detailed quilt I have ever had the delight to buy.
Every inch of this quilt is sewn by hand, every block pieced with extreme care and skill.
The boarder trimmed with this wonderful pattern of tiny square's set on point. I was so excited to see this quilt and when I saw the price I knew it was mine. Shoot is was less than half the price of that jacket at the festival and far more complex in its design.
The corners so cute and fun, just made me smile. It had everything in it that appeals to my sense of awe at the talent of those women that came before me and had such patience and skill.
Can you imagine how much time this would take?! One inch square's! I thought about trying to count them up, but decided it was just too much work.

I tried to take pictures of the back to show you the intricate detail, but until I get some better lighting this is the best I could do. There is little if any batting inside this quilt, which no doubt helped in making all the tiny stitches. I take my hat off to the lady who made this. It was obviously held in great esteem by her and her family for it looks pristine, with only a couple of very small stains.
I am just so happy it was not used to wrap up old pots in the barn like one of my other quilts, and that it was properly cared for.
 Okay, I know what you are thinking, that gal really needs to slow down on the delft. Well I just couldn't pass this piece up. It was simply too cute and was only $6.99. What can I say, it had to come home with me.
This next piece means a lot to me. It is part of our local history and I was so shocked at how low the price of it was that I had to take it home. This is a picture of Chief Tommy Thompson, his wife, Flora, and his granddaughter, Linda Marie George. It was taken on his 100th birthday in 1955, just two years before the Celilo Falls were forever drowned by the building of The Dalles Dam. Chief Tommy was a chief of the Celilo Indians and a resident of the Falls area for many years before he died. To find a colorized version of this picture is a rare and wonderful thing. Many in this size sell for over $300. I was able to purchase it for under $50 and still can't get over my good luck.
I don't usually buy clothes from 2nd hand shops, but I was in need of a windbreaker and found this lovely one by Double Diamond for under $20. It was just my size too. Sure beats $247 don't you think?!
Then my son found this on the same rack near the black jacket and insisted that I try it on. Of course it fit, and I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was, so it too found its way into my collection of goodies.
This is a lovely Chico's label jacket. It still had the origin Chico's price tag in it which was $179, I paid less than $35. How fantastic is that?! I'm thinking, pair this with a nice blouse and black leggins' or even nice dress slacks, or even my blue jeans to shake it up a bit. One can always use a nice jacket.


Comments

Popular Posts