Of Dolly Quilts & Cross Stitch

You might have thought, given yesterday's nightmarish encounter at the 2nd hand store, I would have avoided going back until a weekday, but I am made of pretty stern stuff, so when my hubby said he had to go back to town, away I went with him. It was a much quieter crowd, I am glad to report, but still very crowded, and even more picked over than before. The 50% off color tag had changed from green to purple and I doubt there were more than five purple tags left in the entire store. All the ones I looked at seemed to be yellow. Well sometimes you just have to decide if you want to pay full price or risk the thing being gone next time. I found a few selected items that I was pleased with, and they are posted for your enjoyment below.
 I had been in the store for quite some time before finally venturing over to the blankets and sheets section. A quick look produced no results, when just as I was leaving, this little quilt hanging on a hanger in the pillow case section caught my eye. I thought at first it was a commercial pillow cover, but on closer inspection such was not the case. ha ha ha Get it?! Pillow...Case...oh never mind! This was a mind blowing $3.99.
This cute little dolly quilt is only 24" x 24" and has such wonderful details, I was immediately charmed by it. It is made like a center medallion scrappy quilt, and I thought the use of yellow and blue simply too sweet for words. Don't you love how the little outer printed blocks march around the blue like little soldiers all in a row?! So darling! The center little blocks are so small they are just larger than a postage stamp.
 Anyway, this sweet little dolly quilt, was made by a very talented lady by the name of Sylvia Sullivan, as you can clearly see her name embroidered there on the lower left of the yellow fabric. The center has the sweetest machine sewn hearts and curly-cues too.
 Very nice fabric choices I thought, and even tho it is mostly sewn on a machine, irresistible charm.
 I was just talking to my Sis the other day about the book I had found on crib and doll quilts, never thinking I would actually come across one. I would have thought this a possible wall hanging, but could find no evidence to that affect. No rod pocket and no clip marks where it had hung on a wall.
 It has the sweetest little machine stitched heart details at the corners, you can clearly see how very fun shaped they are.
It has more heart curly-cue work on the blue long strips too. I think they are so adorable and take a steady hand on the machine too.
The back of the quilt is this lovely fine floral print, in cheery pastels. It reminds me of a fun flower patch and goes very well with the quilt top. What a lovely little find, just the right size to wrap a little dolly in.
 These two seashell and shore framed cross stitch pictures, were actually what I found first. I had them in my cart and trundled around with them for over an hour as I rambled the aisles. Not finding much else of interest I actually put them back, before I went over and found the dolly quilt. I second guess myself sometimes, and thought maybe by themselves they were a bit too brown. I have something of an aversion to the color brown, but not the price of $2.99 each.
 After finding the dolly quilt, I decided to return to the picture aisle again and this time look through, to the very bottom, of some of the picture stacks. A task I had wanted to do the first time, but the jam-up of people in the aisle had made it impossible. Upon my return no one was in it, so I looked through the stacks and what should I find, but the obvious larger companion piece to the other two smaller seashell pictures. In a near panic I swiftly went to the other end of the aisle to where I had left the smaller cross-stitch pictures, and breathed a sigh of relief when no one else had taken them. This larger one was just $3.99.
These final three pictures of them, I am just playing with possible layout idea's for my new studio's bathroom wall, where they will soon reside. There are so many possibilities, we shall see which works best for the space allowed. No makers name was on these pieces, how sad.
Last of all I found this soft fluffy cowl-scarf. It is so soft it is scrumptious. My son gave me a lovely knitted affair with matching hat for Christmas and I like it so much I use it all the time. He has seen how well it works and voiced the hope, one day, he could get a cowl-scarf too. I'm sure this one will work for him, it is so soft and warm, it should do the trick nicely. Plus at just $4.99 it was a good bargain to boot. No more cold necks for us, no siree!

Comments

Popular Posts