A Pottery and Quilt Book Day

When winter has you in its icy grip, sometimes it is nice to just get out and go thrifting. Sometimes it's the things you find and sometimes it's the folks you meet. This time it was a little of both. Once again I was involved in several entanglements with too large of carts in too small of aisle's, but turning angry moments into funny one's, its something I like to do. I had several hilarious conversations with ladies over the tire entanglements, and went away feeling they were worth having met and having a fun chat with. I know we all had a laugh instead of harsh words and that is always good.
 One of the first things I found was this cute 4" x 4" Mag Mor Studios tile. It was only $1.99 so I popped it into my cart. I shall tuck it in with my other mid-west art and it should do nicely. There was a fine selection of Mag Mor Studios tiles online, but I couldn't seem to find this exact one. Happily the gold tone sticker was still on its back, making identification easy. This style of tile is pretty easy to identify. Most come out of New Mexico, Arizona, or Colorado.
 Next this very attractive salt glazed pottery vase caught my eye. I just thought it so very unique and I loved the quirky handles and the bit of brown. It reminded me of sprigs of twigs and blossoms, or maybe even seaweed on the beach?! My camera wouldn't take a good picture of the inside of the pot, but it is glazed in this lovely shade of pale blue. I turned it over and could see it was signed, so into the cart it went. Research revealed this is a Ron Judd salt glazed pottery piece. He made pots in his studio near Occidental, California from 1966 - 1989, before turning to wood working. He was a well known artist in his day, and his pieces were shown in many bay area galleries, art events, and shops.
I found a few of his pieces online, which verified the Judd signature. Even small pots, not nearly as elaborate as this one, have sold for $60 - $150 on E-bay & Etsy. I'm just happy to have such a lovely piece, in perfect condition without so much as a nick.
 I found another ring-binder quilt book, and to my joy this is another book full of unique antique quilts, with their stories along with patterns and instructions on how to make them. I thought it well worth the $4.99. Its condition was near new and chock full of wonderful information.
This second smaller quilt book, is also a delight. It too has old time quilts, but also old family photo's and family histories too. I so enjoy a good book on quilts, but especially if it has stories about how families passed their quilts down through the generations. This book certainly has that, which makes me want to collect more Quilt Digest books. Apparently there are several. This book was only $2.99.
Lately the Goodwill I have been going to has been getting in wrapping paper. I don't usually pay much attention to the paper goods, but this roll I thought was so cute with its funny little dreidels, (spinning tops), I couldn't resist taking it along. I thought the faces on it just too cute. Besides it was only $1.99 for 75 square feet of the stuff. Have you seen the price of wrapping paper lately?! You'd think they made it from spun gold!

Comments

Popular Posts