A Little Coffee Grinder, & Funny Critters

One of the things that I really like but don't often see are old coffee grinders. Every since my mother in-law gave me an old one that had been in her family for generations, I've just found them so unique and interesting. When I spied one at GW I couldn't believe my luck.
 This poor little coffee maker needed a bit of TLC, but that didn't stop me from buying it. I still thought it a pretty good deal at $7. I knew I could fix it, so the damage wouldn't get worse, and I just loved the windmill panels all around. I almost didn't by it at first, thinking it was more modern, but then I remembered they had started doing a process like this to paper, at the turn of the 19th century. So I went back and got it from the shelf. I think a lot of folks think the panels are porcelain, when they see these, but they are a very early plastic coated paper. There is tin behind the paper holding it in place.
 Here it is repaired. I used some acid free archival paper, slide a small piece behind the split, used some acid free, dry clear glue, and inside of five minutes it was repaired. I think it will do just fine. I found one similar to this,. minus the tear, sold online for $39. 
This style of little coffee grinder was made in Mutzig, France in the 1920's - 30's the old brass label reads: Mutzig-Framont Mutzig (Bas Rhin). Mutzig is now a town in France, but in the 19th century was a part of Germany. I am very happy with this lovely little coffee grinder and it will go very well with my Dutch collection.
Who can resist a fun little hacky sack?! This one was just .99 and such nice cheerful colors, I couldn't resist.
 Two funny ducks and a bunny, one duck is having an identity crisis and is a bunny wannabe, wearing a bunny suit. They made me laugh they were so cute. At $1.99 each I thought them just perfect, in time for Easter.
I plopped them into the yarn bowl sitting beside my computer so every time I want to smile I just take a look at them.
 For those of you out there who have never heard of Hayao Miyazaki or Studio Gibli animations, this my friends is a Totoro! A Totoro is a wonderful magical creature from the animated movie, "My Neighbor Totoro." It is without question my favorite animated movie of all time. It is a heartwarming portrayal of life in the Japanese countryside for two small girls and their father, and how they meet and are helped by the Totoro's.
 I almost missed this little fellow, he is only 9" tall. I happened to glance into the trolley as I was passing. (You know, the ones that workers at GW are always unloading.) When I did, my eye caught the grin on this Totoro and I just could have leaped with glee. I know my hand was a blur when I snatched him out of that trolley, I did it so fast. It was just a natural reflex! I didn't even look at the price tag.Which later when I did, unbelievably was just $2.99. I managed to find one Totoro just like it, online for $15, which believe me is also a real bargain. These can sometimes go for big bucks.
Here are the authentic tags to look for, don't be fooled by Gund, or other companies that claim to be making true Totoro's. They don't use the right fur, the eyes aren't right, and they just aren't the same as those designed by Studio Ghibli. I'm still jumping up and down for joy! And to think I almost didn't go to GW that day!
At the last I decided to take a look in the hardware aisle and I am glad I did. Each of these were just $1.99. The first and last in the group went to my hubby's garage. The middle hook was just what I was looking for to put in my new shop bathroom to hang a bath towel on. I was so happy because they wanted $10 for the same thing at HD, and I just didn't want to pay that for a brush nickel finished hook. My hubby had a few handy screws, and up it went on the wall very quickly. The three hooks unit is now coming in handy on his garage wall, and I was so happy he liked it. The over the door unit he will use for those wet things that always need a hanging before being put away on the coat rack. I do love nifty thrifty savings, don't you?!

Comments

Popular Posts