A Bit of This and That

A quick stop at the 2nd hand store while my hubby went to get fishing tackle. Sometimes a quick stop can be fun as you can find a few things, but get away before the madding crowd increases. This was just such a fun stop and I was able to find a few fun and helpful items.
 When I saw this apron I couldn't resist its charm. It had all the things I think are fun. However, I thought I was looking at a Dutch farm scene, since the lady is wearing wooden shoes. Turns out this is a vintage pattern called, "French Country Apron", and is an apron panel that was sold back in the 1980's by Concord for sewer's. The designer was Joan Kessler. You can still get these as unmade panels on the internet through Esty and other like kind sites and they run from $17 - $20 depending on the seller. Happily this had a green matching sticker so instead of being $4.99, it was 50% off and was only $2.49. A very nice price for a very nice apron and it saved me the trouble of making it.
While I really liked the apron, I was not so keen on the ruffle on the bottom and decided to do a bit of editing. The panel when it was sold came complete with the printed fabric ties for the top and sides of the apron. This individual decided to follow their own bliss and add gingham ties and ruffle, instead of the nice geese printed one's the pattern offered. A quick use of a seam ripper, soon had it simplified and more to my taste, as I am not really given to ruffle's and fluff.
I had to laugh when I saw this mug on the rack, it was so silly and cute. I can't say I am much of a cat person, but these cats are the exception. As you can see by the makers mark they are not that old, and can still be purchased on Amazon. Tho the ones I found were priced at $16.99 and I almost had sticker shock when I saw that. I paid .99 and wish at that price they had, had more, as I would have bought them all. I could look at these cats all day and laugh.
It is always nice to find these carved wooden Asian stands. They are good for all manner of usage for decorative items. I have even seen some of them drilled through and used as lamp ends. They can cost from $10 to $30 depending on age and what the wood is made of. These are pretty modern I think and at just $1.99 each, a pretty could find.

Comments

Popular Posts