A Fabric Catted Tale

 It is Fall, one of my favorite times of year. The weather turns cooler, the leaves start to change, and the harvest it ripe and ready for the picking. Then all the hustle and bustle of gathering in. The kitchen comes alive with spices and scents, as the apples and pears are all peeled and cored and prepared into delicious delights for a later day. 

I have put up my pears for the year and am eagerly awaiting the apples, but in the meantime I was looking through my fabric stash, in preparation for a new Fall or Winter quilt project. I came across some fabrics I have had for so long, I can't recall exactly when or where I bought them. I had always meant to do something with them, but time and life just got away from me. The more I looked at them the happier I became, but the one fabric just didn't seem quite right. So taking the one of the cats, I combined it with the other, and such was the result that it made me laugh, and inspired me to write their story in the poem below and share it with you. I hope it makes you laugh as much as it did me.

                                          Isn't this the funniest panel of fabric you have ever seen?
 
This cat fabric comes second only by a hair. The cats were hilarious and I couldn't pass them up.
Then I thought the first fabric just needs more cats, so I got out my trusty embroidery frame, cut out cats from the cat fabric, and went to town sewing them on the first fabric, right where I wanted them to be. What do you think? Doesn't it look better?
 
The end result was this hilarious piece, which I shall henceforth put into the center of my next quilt. Don't you think it's a scream?! It inspired my funny bone so much that their story in poem practically wrote itself. So here is my fabricated tale.

A Fabric Catted Tale

A long time ago, in the annals of time,
or was it last week, I started this rhyme?
Whatever the case, of what befell,
it happened, and oh what a tale then to tell.
Tho it all began, innocently enough,
as tales often do, when full of such stuff.
The cause and effect, were much greater you see,
then what was expected, or what came to be.
Some Cats had decided, on a midnight stroll,
to meet up with friends, their intended goal.
But what they met, on that moonlit night,
really gave them a terrible fright.
And what Cats will do, when sore afraid,
is go off my friends, like a hand-grenade.
So what frightened them, became frightened too,
and what happened next, was a Hullabaloo.
But nobody knew, when it came to a halt,
who was really to blame, or who was at fault.
It was many a day, long after that night,
that fingers were pointed, at who caused the fight.
Some blamed the Spiders, some blamed the Bats,
Some blamed the Monsters, and some blamed the Cats.
Tho I tried my best, to make them all see,
they just wouldn't listen, one bit to me.
The Cats said the Monsters, had trod on their tails,
that is what started, their fear factored wails!
The Monsters denied it. The Cats if you please,
had come flying at them, like a maddened trapeze.
All they had seen, was fur-balls in black,
all fiercely screeching, "Black Cats Attack!"
They thought the Cats, were after their goods, 
they had attacked them, because they were Hoods.
So they had fought back, as they had come flying,
it wasn't the Monsters, that started the crying.
The Spiders incensed, as they crawled on the ground,
said they in their webs, were just hanging around.
They hadn't done, a things to the Cats,
but their webs had got shredded, when they had gone bats.
When the cats exploded, all they could say,
is they'd tried their best, to stay out of their way.
Their flying about, had made a real mess,
and they as good Spiders, weren't going to confess.
One did warn a Monster, just out of fear,
when a Cat gone all crazy, came flying too near.
"LOOK OUT FOR THE CAT!" The blue Spider said,
"It's going to land, right on top of your head!"
"OW! OW! Yelled the Monster, with a great cry,
"I've got a Cat, standing in my left eye!"
"That", laughed a Monster, dressed all in green,
"Is the silliest thing, that I've ever seen!"
But just at that moment, his heart skipped a beat,
as a black Cat came sprawling, right at his feet.
Another black Cat, was crouching quite near,
the Monster screamed out, his voice filled with fear.
"BEWARE OF THE CATS! BEWARE! BEWARE!
THERE ARE CRAZY BLACK CATS, FLYING EVERYWHERE!"
Then what followed next, dear girls and dear boys,
was a fracas and hullabaloo full of loud noise.
Of scratching's, and howling's, and thumping's, and bruises,
where nobody wins, and everyone loses.
Up overhead, the Bats flew now high,
for they had been dodging the Cats flying by.
It had scared off the bugs, so they all flew away,
there would be no bug feast, for the Bats on that day.
Or should I say not, for the rest of that night,
for the Bats who went hungry, because of the fight.
They were disgusted, they thought Cats were knave's,
they flew away swiftly, back to their caves.
When they were accused, it made them all sad,
they weren't the ones who'd gone rabidly mad.
They'd wanted no part, of that silly fight,
in their eye's 'twas the Cats, who'd gone crazy that night.
The Monsters were madder, than mad could be,
at the lunatic Cats, and their wild fight spree.
Their presents were scattered, their tempers were worn,
their new clothes in tatters, their packages torn.
They had not stepped, on a bloomin' Cats tail,
they had not caused the Cats fearful wail.
They had come home, by way of the Park,
they had been coming, back from a lark.
They'd no intentions, of starting a fight,
they were a happy party that night.
So on and on, and round and round,
 they all were accusing, but gaining no ground.
While off by himself, a fellow with guile,
just sat in the shadows, with a sly smile.
If they had calmed down, and bothered to think,
they might have noticed, the little brown fink.
It was he who had thought up, this very trap,
which the Cats had all fell for, it was a snap.
He'd caught a cricket, on that very night,
dropped it on a Cat, then ducked outta sight.
That Cat had jumped, on the tail up ahead,
of a Cat, who had just come from lying in bed.
It half asleep, had screeched out in fear,
which sent the whole Cat Clan, into high gear.
I tried to tell them, of what I had seen,
But they were still shouting, what they thought had been.
No one would listen, that there by the house,
the fight had been started, by a little brown mouse!


P.S. Well how would you know, I hear you all ask,
why didn't someone, take you to task?!
I stayed out of sight, tho it took some hopping,
with Cats gone all crazy, and everywhere flopping.
And why should I know, of that sticky wicket?!
Because I was, that captured black Cricket.

---------------------
 So why don't we see the mouse and the cricket on the fabric you might ask?! Well, they are behind the house of course!




Comments

Popular Posts