My Silly Sock Monster's

I finally finished the 18th century knee breeches I was making for a friend, as soon as I get some good pictures of them on him, I will be posting them up here for your enjoyment. They were a real challenge and I am happy to say, fit him to a tee.

For relaxation after all my hard work, I decided to try my hand at making my very own style of sock monsters. I had some socks, that for whatever reason the elastic failed at the top, so they wouldn't stay up for love nor money. You know the type, they slide off your ankle and under your heel and before you know it, you are walking on a bunched up sock under your arch. Very annoying and very uncomfortable.

Since moving to Hawaii I don't wear sock much anyhow, so I wondered what I could do with these socks?! I hit upon the idea of trying to make some sock monsters. Just because I had never tried to make one before was certainly no deterrent. I decided to just let the socks speak to me, and see where they took me. I know, you can laugh, but that is my process and it works for me.

One of the things I thought of right away, was to use some of my own funny face drawings. For some odd reason I like to draw faces. I used to doodle them a lot more than I do now, but will probably get back to it, now that I am making these monsters.

Here are a few of the faces I have drawn in the past that I used as inspiration.
As you will see the final result does not look exactly like these crazy sketches. I like to let the mood take me where it will, and sometimes what works on paper does not translate as well to clothe in three dimensions.
As you can see, I have a wide variety of silly socks, and my first order of business was to mix and match them in ways I thought would make a nice monster. All of these socks are ankle socks, except for the pink and white one at the top. I love that the socks are of different sizes, so it made smaller and larger monsters.
My very first attempt is a little monster I call Ratchet. His eyes are full of mischief and he loves to get into his mommies makeup and try it on. He especially loves the taste of her bubblegum pink lipstick. What she is going to do when she finds her makeup a mess is anyone's guess?! Naughty Monster!
My next little monster turned out just as fun as the first, and I named him Sprocket. He is older and more mature than Ratchet, but he does like a bit of fun too, and doesn't mind Rachet's mischief at all.
They are very good friends and liked each other the instant they met.
My third and last little monster, I have made so far, is something else. His name is Spigget, and he has a thing about frogs. I don't know at times if he is a frog in a monster suit, or a monster in a frog suit?! He does love to wrestle too, almost as much as Sprocket loves to ride bikes. The three hit it off immediately and have decided to start their very own monster club. What they are going to do in it they still aren't sure?! But I'm sure it will be full of fun and a great success.

These little monsters were quick and easy, with just a needle, thread, and imagination, they soon were here making me smile. So if you have some funny socks, and you don't know what to do with them?! Try making a sock monster. It only takes stuffing from old worn out poly filled pillows, (washed and dried of course), to stuff their little bodies with. A bit of felt in different colors, and some 10mm felt balls cut in half and stitched to make the bulging eyes, or just layered felt eyes like Sprocket. You could also just use buttons or whatever else inspires you. The skies the limit. A bit of stiff wired old Christmas 3-ply rope made their tails, covered in felt, it helps them sit up and adds a bit of a dragony feel which I truly like.

I found this a very fun project, which only took a few hours to do each one, and was very satisfied with the results. I stitched everything down, but I suppose if you wanted it go faster, hot glue would do. Happy monster making!

Comments

Popular Posts