My Spool Gypsy's Project

Have you ever wondered what to do with your excess scraps of yarn, buttons, string, fabrics, and bits of things?! I am always looking for ways to use my scraps from other projects, and those fun bits of stuff that are too nice to throw away. I also am a hoarder of old wooden spools and bits and bobs of this and that. Every once in a while I am hit by the creative bug, and so I search for ways to make something I have never tried before, out of my leftovers. These Spool Gypsy's are the result of that effort and turned out to be such fun. I think I will be making more of them in the future.
Here are a few things that got me started. I used a small wool yarn ball for her head, and teeny tiny yarn balls for her eyes. Some novelty yarn for her hair and neck collar. A few buttons, an old wooden spool, I painted purple. A worn out hemp and bead necklace, and a scrap of cloth from an old blouse. A pipe cleaner twisted around her head and stuffed down the spool holds her head in place. A small hole drilled through the spool, and a wire threaded through it and twisted into loops, held the hemp arms and gave me a tie off for the hemp hanging thread. A bit of fun with a bat button, a bit of hand sewing, and voila, a Spool Gypsy was born.
Meet Bethaelya Spewylle, she is of the Oakiyewn Gypsy's. They used to live in the lovely oaks near my old home. But now they have come to live with me here in Hawaii. I am truly delighted!
I thought at first that Bethaelya would like to stay barefooted, but she complained about her toes getting hurt, so I made her a pair of boots, and she was so grateful.
Her skirt is the trimmings off an old blouse, which was far too long for me. It made the perfect compliment to the net covered purple spool that forms her body. She is a bit shy, so turned away when I took her picture.
A bit of felt made up her boots and a bit of gold embroidery thread her laces. She adores them.
 
Soon she was joined by her friend Cylindra Hartseakre. She loves hearts and collects them wherever she goes. So look out fella's 'cause Cylindra thinks she is a real, "Blond Bombshell."
 A bit of beads left over from a lampshade trimming, was just the thing to give her a bit of bling. Cylindra loves all things that sparkle. Her skirt is also a bit from one of my old blouses.
She got embarrassed when I went to take her picture, blushed, and turned her back on me too. I think the yellow yarn worked great for her hair. She wanted boots just like Bethaelya's, so I was glad I still had a bit left of that scrap of felt. When I was done they fit her perfectly.

I was so glad to finally get my, "Gay Philosopher", back from the frame shop, and was happy to introduce him to my Spool Gypsy's. He says, "Why Worry?!" I say, "Why Indeed?!"
The Spool Gypsy's love hanging out with the him, and my spooky pictures. They are very near my computer station, where I can see them every day. They are all just the right amount of quirky and fun, which I love. The Spool Gypsy's will no doubt be happy to hang out on my Christmas tree, come this Christmas too.

It's a good thing Cravynne the Raven is a friend. He made the Spool Gypsy's pretty nervous at first, but as he likes to fly them places, they look at him now as their special friend and guardian. The house on the right is their fun and funky house. That, and the other spooky pictures, were something I made with paper napkins, cut up, rearranged, and decoupaged onto canvas'. They were very fun and easy to do. Sorry the wind blew them a bit, which is why they are hanging crooked.

Comments

Popular Posts