Goodwill Yet Again

Here we are again, they said. What's up with all the Goodwill?! Well, lets just say the husband has been making numerous trips to the hardware store's and I don't care to be bored to death in them. How's that for a conversation with myself?! Since this isn't a chat room, we will get on with it.
 First of all this lovely remake of an old master painting was discovered. It reminded me of picking apple's in the orchards in Wenatchee when I was young. Tho I can tell you it was not done so romantically as this. Our method was a long bottomless canvas bag slung about the neck and shoulders with straps, which you emptied when full by means of two ropes with knots in them stuck into metal bracket loops, near the opening of the bag. One misstep with it and the apples were all on the ground, much to the displeasure of the apple orchard owner. Doesn't this scene just look heavenly?! Practically angelic! If this had been done in my childhood the real scene would have been of an apple fight and a chase around the orchard with the sheet dragging the ground, and mother screaming at us to behave ourselves or else.
How's this for a lovely winter country scene? I think this shall hang in a prominent place in the hot summer, so I can feel cooler every time I look at it. In winter it shall be tucked away in a cupboard.
 Now for a lovely little bird house just waiting to be hung in the spring for just the right little birdie to take up residence. Maybe a Wren I hope, and not an English Sparrow.
 I saw this modern Delft tile and thought it worth a look. It is a nice scene, I think, tho not as beautiful as some of my older ones it will still look nice in the Dutch collection.
 
Would you believe I found this beauty for just $6.99?! I was in dire need of a tree-stand and this one is built to last, and shall do nicely I think. You can pick these up at Home Depot, but not for $6.99.
Since moving here from Hawaii I have been in desperate need of some good sweaters. The gal at the front told me they had just got in a couple of truck loads from Portland, and she wasn't kidding. I found these eight lovelies in no time. They are good brand names too, Liz Claiborne, Evan-Picone, Coldwater Creek, just to name a few. Of course I had to have a Christmas one too. No ugly Christmas sweater for me tho, this one shouts jolly snowmen all the way! Some I got half price so paid a whopping $3.99. That's a price I can afford believe me.
 The prices were so good I went over to the men's department to look for some for my son. I scored on this thermal shirt by J. Crew, the cream sweater from the Gap, and the black and grey sweater from Quick Silver. All good quality brands in sweet condition. What's best is that they fit him like a dream and he liked them.
Now this lovely yardage of fabric I didn't get from Goodwill, but it came in the mail the same day as the day I went, so I am putting it in here. Every since I found that lovely fabric some time ago in one of the antique stores, I have been looking for some that matches it. I found this on line and bought it. It was just a little over two yards, just like the striped fabric in a similar pattern. It too is made by the same company that is now a part of Joan Fabrics. Maybe I shall make a lovely Dutch gown, or maybe curtains, pillows, or who knows?! This fabric just made me think of a lovely flower garden, and had such scope for the imagination. Hopefully it shall become something even more beautiful in the future.
That day was a day full of surprises for me. While I was shopping, my husband was surprising me with buying me this beauty. I am not much of a fan of faux electric fireplaces, but this one is a dandy. It is all metal, its flames actually look pretty real, and the heater is nice and located at the top so you don't burn a hole in the floor. To top it off it was just $149, but when he got to the counter it was on sale for $129, so we were both happy with the bargain. In fact I liked it so much I went back and bought him one the next day, as a surprise. I thought it would warm a spot in his garage very nicely. In the meantime one is now in our bedroom and the other in the living room of our small house. They are both awaiting the finishing of the new garage and shop. There is nothing quite as cheering on a grey winter day than flickering flames in a fireplace or wood-stove. Now we can have the cheer, without the mess of bug laden wood. YAY!!!

Comments

Popular Posts