A Double Wedding Ring Quilt

When I am out and about I am always looking for textiles, and those who know me best know that among my favorite textiles are old homemade quilts. I was fortunate this weekend to have about an hour in one of my favorite antique shops. I wasn't thinking I would see much since this shops turnover isn't always so good. But it beat going to Wallmart and the gas station with my hubby.

I, like most folks, am a person of habit and routine, and when I arrive at a shop I generally like to turn right inside the door and make my way to the furthest back corner, browsing all the way. I was disturbed from my usual habit this time, by a number of customers crowding the isle, one lady in particular being drenched in scent. My asthma being of a sensitive nature to the type of perfume she had drowned herself in, I had to take a quick detour and turn left, instead of my usual right. To quote the words of Bob Ross it was a, "Happy accident." I hadn't gone ten paces when much to my surprise, there stacked onto a cupboard shelf, among other textiles, was this 1930's double wedding ring quilt, in great condition for just $35. I looked it over and aside from some light staining and normal wear, it was delightful.

I know what you may be thinking, double wedding ring quilts are as common as dirt, and you would be right. The double wedding ring pattern was one of the most popular quilts of that era, and even earlier, and for many it still is. Truth be told I am not a big fan of this pattern, but I was willing to make the exception in this case, for the seamstress who sewed this one had extraordinary skills.
The overall size of this quilt is 76" x 88" with her stitches averaging 9 and 10 stitches to the inch. I love her pink and green, ring-joining squares. These are just 2" x 2". While the little wedge's making up the rings are just, 3/4" x 1" x 2". I have seen many double wedding ring quilts, but none this delicate and finely made.
I wish I had better lighting so you could see the wonderful quilting pattern that she has done. The lovely scalloped edge is encased with a 1/4" trim, done with a tiny hidden stitch.
Every individual block in this quilt is lovingly stitched by hand, and only the back panels and one edge of the 1/4" binding is stitched with a machine. Everything else on this quilt is entirely hand done.
 
The white portion of the quilt has such a lovely motif as well, being a very interesting style flower, which reminded me of some of the works of Mary Engelbreit.
The back is done in three white cotton panels the first two measuring approximately 34" wide, and the last just 7 1/2". There is as very thin cotton batting inside, making this a summer weight quilt, or the maker lived in a nice warm climate. She had every reason to be proud of this piece, that is for sure.
The cotton fabrics used and the overall color palette of this leads me to believe this is a scrappy quilt using both feed-sack and scraps from clothing or other sewing projects. This is the type of quilt that would lend itself to the use of some of the smallest scraps, and given this was made in the, "Great Depression", era nothing but nothing went to waste.
There is a bit of fading and some light staining, but none that I find detracts from the overall beauty and fun of this quilt. It makes me think it was used a bit and loved by those that owned it.
 Sadly, like many a quilt I have purchased, it had no identification as to the maker. These unsung masters of the needle and thread are the true heroine's of our history. They warmed the hearts and beds of millions, and steadily sewed through every manner of upheaval. Their skills and talents speak for themselves, and I for one feel honored to save this history for the sake of future generations.
This quilt is proof that for every rule there is an exception. I had made myself a rule, or promise if you will, that I would not have a quilt of this pattern in my collection. I'm not sure where my prejudice against this pattern started?! Maybe by the receiving, as a gift, a knock-off that was so poorly executed, that when it needed to be washed it promptly fell apart, I'm not sure?! Its colors were of a shade that held no interest to me, and I was really delighted to use it up until it was a rag, mostly for packing furniture in our several moves. I chide myself now, that I could treat any textile so badly, because no matter where it came from, some servant of the needle and thread, sat long hours stitching it together, and I aught to have had more respect.  ...sigh... Such were the mistakes of my younger and more ignorant days.
 Even tho a few of the blocks show fading, the overall color of this quilt is still very vibrant. The colors and prints a true delight. The very tiny frays will be carefully repaired, as I think the maker would have done. She being a person of obvious meticulous stitching ability.
The lovely scalloping along the quilts edge is interesting, the maker choosing to forgo the four square pink and green blocks, for a three block pattern, thus making a deep scallop instead of a point. Variations in quilts are what make them so endlessly fascinating to me. Each choice being so different for each individual, thus showing their particular artistic style.

I think the maker knew well the symbolism behind this pattern, but whether for a loved one for her wedding, or a symbol of her own marriage of many years, her quilt, now a genuine icon of American quilt patterns, I will happily cherish in my collection.
 On a completely different subject. You may remember some time ago I purchased some inexpensive light fixtures at Goodwill. Well the more I thought about it the more I didn't like the fact they were of different colors. One brushed nickel, the other antique brown.
 No problem, I took them into my shop, where my hubby had papered the floor in preparation for the sheet-rockers. I took them apart and sprayed them inside and out, white, with a lovely can of Rustoleum spray paint. This is my very first project in my new shop. YAY! I believe this is a vast improvement, if you ask me. I didn't want my eye to be drawn to the ceiling lights, and I don't mind that the lights aren't an exact pattern match. The white will blend them into the ceiling, so that the eye will be drawn to the brightly painted walls, art, and floor coverings. Now if I can only get the ceiling fan I want in white?!

Speaking of white, we are presently sitting in a blizzard of white, the snow coming down at a rapid rate, about the size of silver dollars. I do pray all of you are safe out there and keeping warm against the cold.





Comments

Popular Posts