Japanese Bunka Shishu Bird With Roses & More

I do believe I am really beginning to adore Japanese Bunka Shishu punch needle art. I found another beautiful piece of it while I was once again filling otherwise idle time at my favorite 2nd hand store. In fact I was really amazed at all the things that I found this time, and was so happy many were green tagged for it was a green tag 50% off day.
 I just love this bird, but am not sure what it represents?! It looks very much like a female Western Tanager for shape and size, but they don't have white bellies and throats. It is too large and long in shape to be Japanese White Eye, so I am rather stumped.
This piece, like my one oil painting, was once again found displayed up in the window of the store and I nearly missed it. Also it was rather filthy, which thankfully cleaned up without too much effort. I felt bad that such a beautiful piece of art could be so sadly neglected. It had obviously sat in some very dirty place for some time, so I was very glad to rescue it.

Stores I find, especially 2nd hand stores, have a wicked disregard for what sunlight can do to textiles. The background of this piece used to be a very pale pink, but has faded to white. Fortunately the thread used has not faded much if at all. Sadly, there was no identification as to who made this piece. She was pretty good, but she did not have someone to instruct her in proper framing for textiles. This piece is right up against the glass, so will have to be removed carefully and properly framed. It was priced at just $3.99, but the green tag dropped it to $1.99. What a steal!
This rather large oil painting has been catching my eye for some weeks now. It is very bright and cheerful, and I like the fact the child is holding a bunch of wheat. I just couldn't make up my mind if I really wanted to buy it. I decided if it was still there when the green tag day came I would. It too was priced at $3.99, and dropped to $1.99. Sometimes waiting a few days can save you more money.
 This print is lovely, and I really liked it, so I took it off the shelf to examine. It was $3.99 and I was trying to make up my mind if I really wanted it, when I noticed the sticker on the back said this picture framed with Tru Vue glass. Now that right there made me put it in the cart, because even if I decide to use the picture or something else in the frame, that glass alone at a picture framers would cost over $30. It is one of the best UV rated picture glasses out there. So keep an eagle eye out for it when looking for 2nd hand pictures. Unfortunately tho I looked long and hard on Foogle, I could find out nothing about this print. I can't believe someone would go to the expense of framing up a cheap print, but maybe some poor soul got sucked in by an unscrupulous picture framer. It has happened before.
This nifty wooden country arts & crafts piece, with its cute little hearts caught my eye. I had been seeing it in the store for a week or more, it was also green tagged, priced at $3.99 which dropped to $1.99. I thought at that price I should take it home. Very faded out is written on the center heart, Larry + Katherine, 9-2-51, and on the side of another little heart 1988 Kn. Because it is so faded I will probably repaint the center heart, but whoever Larry and Katherine were, I hope they had a lovely life together. Don't you think the little hearts look like little quilt blocks?! I think they are adorable! Tic Tac Toe in hearts you know!
Now normally I am not a goose person, but this small watercolor by Karen Armstrong, done back in 1985, was just too cute with that blue scarf. It is only 5x7 inches, but so nicely done I couldn't resist it. Besides it was only $2.99 and who could get such a nice piece of art for that price?! It costs more for the frame and paper.
This basket came as a very nice surprise. I saw it on a shelf and all I could see was its side. I thought, what a lovely basket, and took it down to have a closer look. When I did this wonderful seascape painted lid greeted my eyes. I had to have it! Especially as it was green tagged at $2.99, dropping its price to $1.49. Woo hoo!
 I just love this pattern of Karla Dornacher's. It is called The apple of God's eye, and is very cute. I had the platter and tall mugs and I think maybe a teapot in this pattern, but I gifted them to my daughter, before we moved to Hawaii. I thought she would like them, and I didn't think they would hold up to the trip. I looked for this piece on Foogle, but could find nothing. It is really a nifty piece because it has a built in hanging hook on the back. It was $4.99. We used to sell ones like this for $35 or more in the gift shop I used to work in.
Now my Mexico wall decor wouldn't be complete without these lovely ceramic hot peppers. I saw these under a pile of stuff and carefully extricated them. They were a bit pricey at $6.99, but I have seen them in stores for $35 - $45, so still think they were a bargain. They will certainly cheer things up!
 I have wanted one of these beautiful picture rock, sculpted Arizona sandstone, votive candle holders for ages. When I saw this one the first time I thought I would buy it, but something made me hold off?! Maybe it was the $6.99 sticker price, but lo and behold today's sticker was green, so I got it for just $3.49. Even a small one of these can cost $25, and this is rather good sized. I felt so happy to get it. I will not be mucking it up with wax candles tho. I think a nifty flickering l e d tea light will work nicely instead.
 At 99 cents this lined paper notebook was a good bargain. I didn't notice until afterwards the Corepower YOGA sticker on the front. How funny is that?! Some poor YOGA person gave it up and dumped their notebook...hmmm...I wonder why?
Just at the last, as I was walking by the books, I happened to spy this. If you ever want a good book for your library, and you are into any type of applique, get a copy of this book. Now I don't plan on using it for Machine applique, but the information laid out in this book are good steps for any sewing of any kind. It covers just about everything in the way of how to treat your machine, to different types of machine needle usages, to types of presser foots from different machines, just to name a few. I know I will find this book extremely useful, and the fact it is done in ring-binder style is pure genius. I can't tell you how often I have found the use of a normally bound book so frustrating when it came to usage for a project. Having the book lie flat is so much more practical, I wish more of my books were done in this way. As you can see the price was $3.99 and I was happy to pay it.

Comments

Popular Posts