Valentines Day Gift Thrifting

What better way to celebrate Valentines than with a trip to my favorite 2nd hand store?! This was my hubby's gift to me, so we jumped into his pickup and he whisked me off to town, through the falling snow. Oh the delightful time I had browsing the shelves and finding fun finds. This was the best Valentines ever. Far better than a box of chocolates and a silly balloon. Thank you sweetheart!
 Here is the most adorable watercolor print by the very talented well known artist, Valerie Pfeiffer. I remember her from back in the 1990's, her fun prints were everywhere. I think I even bought one of her prints for my daughter of some darling little budgies. I simply couldn't pass this up at $1.99. I do love English Robins, which is what the little birdies are. It is titled, "Winter Robins."
I am so glad this was still in its original plastic, because when I went to find information on Val on Foogle, it gave me next to nothing, and kept giving me pictures of Michelle Pfeiffer. ARGH! This paper label was on the back and it is pretty much all I know. I don't know what has become of Val or if she is still an active artist? She seems to have dropped off the planet. If anyone knows more recent information about her, please leave a comment. I really enjoy her art.
 
This is a lovely giclee on canvas print of a picture someone took of a wonderful path to a beach. I just loved how the fence reflected on the sand making an interesting pattern. The picture is titled, "Dune Walk." The very good photographer only put the initials PM on the lower right-hand corner of this work, so unfortunately I do not know whose this is?!
This lovely original watercolor painting I thought was very striking. It caught my eye at once, and reminded me of many of the forests I have known since my childhood. It looked like a very peaceful place to walk, to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. I thought it a bargain at $6.99. The soft greens are just the shades of green that I like.
I tried to look this artist up as well but didn't have any luck. As best I can make out it says T. Haws 12 01. Whoever this artist is I think they did a very nice art piece and I will be happy to hang it in my new house or my studio.
I was so happy to find a bit of blue-ware, it always cheers me up immensely for some reason. I am not usually attracted to Asian blue-ware simply because it seemed like everyone in my family had Willow Ware. So much so, that I was really tired of it. However, for every rule there is an exception and this vase hit all the right buttons for me. I thought the fish very fun and attractive and at $3.99 how could I pass it up?! Just for kicks I sat it on the tureen base I found the other day, they look like a nice combination to me. I can't wait to get my house done, so I can decorate it with my, new to me, goodies.
 This is the only mark on its bottom, 17, and I had to laugh when I got it home and was removing the Goodwill price label. It had a Ross label under it for $7.99, that read compare at $18.00. For some reason Ross had no luck selling it, so away it was sent to Goodwill. Well some folks loss is another folks gain. I am perfectly happy to give it a home and only pay the $3.99 price.
 I am normally not a fan of figurines, in fact I sculpt my own little people, so I don't really have many things around of this sort. But I couldn't let this one remain on the shelf. Maybe it was the nostalgia factor getting to me?! This figurine was made in 1973, just like the little shadow boxes I found earlier.
 As you can see the figurine is carrying a kitty, just like the Holly Hobbie in one of the little shadow boxes. When I sat them all together on my dresser they just looked so cute, I knew I had made the right choice. These came out when I was in high school, but we were too poor to afford such things. Now I am happy to look at them and remember some of the happy things from my childhood.
Just at the last, I picked up these three crazy looking dolls from the toy isle. I believe they are some more dolls from the Monster High animated series?! I don't know a thing about this series or these dolls, but I thought they were fun and funky and at $2.99 each, I thought they needed to come home with me. The nice thing about these is that they still have their clothes and shoes and even some accessories. I think they will clean up nicely. Who knows these may be the Holly Hobbies of their day?! ha ha ha Their clothes look pretty retro sixties to me. Even their shoes look like rocker shoes from my high school days. Funny how fashion just seems to rework the same old styles over and over again.


Comments

Popular Posts