A Quilt Rack, Spoon Saver, & Cross Stitch

This was just a quick stop at the 2nd hand store. I went in to get an object I had thought of getting but decided not to, only to find that we really could use it. Isn't that the way of it tho?! I wasn't sure it would still be there since it had been a few days, but luck was with me and I prevailed. Yay!
Of course I just happened to find a few other things I needed too, so here they are for your enjoyment.
This lovely solid maple quilt rack was something I had seen in the store on a number of visits. It was up in one of the window displays and I couldn't quite see the price on it. I thought it was $19.99 or $29.99, so I kept passing it by. On this day however I stopped to get a better look and was surprised to see that it was just $9.99. As it happened, the purple price tag matched the 50% off tag, so I picked up this beauty for a mere $4.99. Now this was splendid as I had seen these exact quilt racks at Home Depot for about $50. It came in very useful for my two Zapotec rugs don't you think?! YAY!!!
The funny thing is, this is what I went into the store to find. I had seen it days before and passed it up, got home, and it happened to be just what my son needed for sitting our big chili serving spoon on. I was so happy to find that it was still there, I snatched it up quickly and put it in my cart. It is really a lovely example of Japanese Otagiri porcelain. Rather a rare pattern if Foogle is anything to go by. I only found two example's of it when I searched. These sold online for about $20. These Otagiri spoon savers come in many different patterns, but I was very happy to pick it up for just $1.99 with the Iris and tiny flowers on it. I do love Japanese Iris, they are a lovely flower that I hope to grow in my garden again someday.
As I was passing the picture aisle I happened to see this delicately stitched piece. It is very finely stitched with just the initials L M and 92. I thought it very sweet indeed. It reads, "There's Warmth And Joy That Never Ends...Between The Hearts Of Special Friends."  I can't help hoping that the person who made this, gave it to just such a friend. Sadly, all things move forward and someone felt it of no such use anymore so dumped it at GW. This is a sad commentary on life sometimes, but I am happy to say I thought it worth the $1.99, so rescued it. I may remove it from its sad little frame and make it the center of a lovely quilt or coverlet?! It may also become a lovely pillow, who knows?! I may just clean, it press it, and hang it on my wall in memory of some truly great friends that I have known over the years?! No matter how I use it, thank you L M, whoever you are, for making such a lovely piece!

Comments

Popular Posts