Mexican Rose Appliqued Quilt


Finding this quilt while antique shopping was such a surprise and delight. I couldn't believe my luck it was such a beautiful and finely made quilt. At 80" x 83" it is not over large, but every inch of this quilt screams quality and sewing talent. This pattern of appliqued quilt, sometimes called, "Mexican Rose", dates back to 1849. At least it was in that year a lady by the name of  Jane Barr is recorded to have made a quilt like this one. The name Mexican Rose, for this pattern is thought to have come about as a commemoration of ours country's war with Mexico. Which occurred from 1846-1848, and resulted in the annexation of Texas. Whatever the reason this is one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. The shop owner thought the quilt had been made in the early 1900's - 1930's, but I believe it may be much older.
 First of all I noticed its overall color palette is just red and green on white. Which is similar to those quilts of this kind made in the late 1840's - 60's. The use of large patterns and blocks, instead of many small ones, is also indicative of an older style.
 If you look for quilts in this style you will find many variations of this pattern. I simply love the two color festooning, with its three petaled and six petaled flowers. They are very unique.
 Another unique feature is the five petaled flowers with green centers. All of the examples online I found of this pattern had six petals with yellow centers. It leads me to believe that this person really wanted to make this pattern uniquely their own. Also the leaves being diamond shaped instead of curved shows the skill of this seamstress. To get those edges so smooth, equal, and strait is no easy matter.
 In the very center of the quilt is this lovely feathered wreath with gridded stitches running through it.
 In fact I have never seen so much quilting on any quilt before, it is simply quilted to the gunnels, with tiny fine stitches.
 It has feathered arches, and one inch grids running all over it, in a very precise and interesting way.
 The red fabric is, I believe, turkey red, a very wonderful and bright red dye made from madder root. The process of making it made it very stable and long lasting, but was technically challenging. It's stability as a dye in fabric made it much sought after, but it was pretty expensive. Which leads me to conclude that this person was a person of some wealth as well as talent. This was a cherished quilt, not for daily use, but made to show this persons master skills at design and quilting. This is a genuine heirloom quilt, that would have been suitable as a wedding gift, or an important presentation, or possibly shown at Fairs. The fact it has so little wear, fading, or even staining for its age, leads me to believe it has been always carefully folded up in a cupboard or storage. Only seeing the light of day on special occasions. It is simply a stunning work of art.
 Just look at all of this fine detail. It takes my breath away! I never thought I would be so attracted to an appliqued quilt, but this quilt made me change my mind about them completely. I love it!
 Even the border is finely edged in a 1/4 inch red trim, making a stunning contrast to the white.
 I had my sis hold the quilt up so you can better see the craftsmanship of the quilt. Instead of making this as just squares the designer has set them on point. This was truly made by a master of the craft.
The more I investigated this quilt the more astonished I became and also happier. I had truly found a stunning example of this pattern of quilt and was simply beside myself with delight at finding it.
As you can see in the final picture is has a bit of a stain, but other than that, and the fact it has been folded too many years, there is no damage. For myself I believe this quilt could date from the early 1850's, or possibly the 1860's. Its style of larger blocks, and applique's, as well as the amount of tiny stitches, leads me to believe it is much older than the lady at the shop thought. The fact I was able to buy it for $75 was just the icing on the cake. I would have bought it no matter its age, it is so stunning. This is one of my very favorites now in all my collection. What I wouldn't give to have been able to meet and speak with the maker of this quilt. I am in awe of her patience and skill and only wished with all my heart that she had left her name upon it.

Comments

Popular Posts