Primrose Path Quilt

Here is another lovely quilt, I purchased at the same Octoberfest in High Prairie, Washington last Fall, for the sake of the volunteer fire department. It is the second of three I purchased from Diane Cazalet. I had seen it the year before at the quilt sale, but didn't have time to buy it. Much to my surprise and delight it hadn't sold, so Diane was once again offering it for sale. YAY!
 This quilt dates from the 1920's. It is considered a four patch and is entirely sewn by hand, with the exception of the back panels, which were sewn by machine. It is a lovely quilt made with solid patches of pink, and blue. The white looking patches, are upon close inspection, made up of a very pale, (possibly faded), floral print. It is 76" x 84" quilted at 8 & 9 stitches to the inch, with double track stitching. A very time consuming technique indeed. The quilt is bound off with a 1/4" blue binding, sewn by hand. I just love this quilt!
 The back is done in the same solid pale pink as the front pieces, and you can clearly see the quilting done in double lines. It has a thin cotton batting, which has separated with time and washings, but does not, to my mind, in any way detract from the beauty of this quilt.
 The maker of this quilt was a lady of some means, for this is not a multiple type scrap quilt, but one very carefully thought out and executed. She must have saved up and purchased intentionally her fabrics for this quilt. This is not a beginner's pattern type quilt.
 I was simply amazed by the beauty of this quilt and the makers sense of style. I looked long and hard on Foogle for this pattern, or for one like it, to no avail.
The closest pattern I could find, was this one on page 161 of the book above, by Maggie Malone. She labeled it Primrose Path. However, she did not site any source references in her book for this pattern, so I am left wondering how accurate that name really is?!
To lend even more confusion to my quilts identification. The quilt pictured above is from the Kansas Historical Society's textile collection, and it too has been labeled, Primrose Path. It is a Signature Quilt by Anna Black Hutchin, and was made sometime between 1924 & 1927. Isn't it simply gorgeous?! Now anyone with eyes can see that this quilt looks nothing like the quilt I bought, so what gives?! If anyone can tell me more about this quilt pattern, I would be delighted to hear your suggestions in the comments.
The above quilt can be seen at this link. https://www.kshs.org/km/items/view/221786

Comments

Popular Posts