Cheri Kay Robison

Third, but not the last in the line up, came Cheri. Teasingly referred to as, "Cheri Tay Tay Bird", or " Moms little brown eyed girl." Petite she was and petite she would always remain. She was born, January 18, 1957.
Here she is with older brother Blaine. It looks like the sun was a bit bright that day and is in her eyes, but she's not howling about it. I wonder what that crazy looking bit of machinery is in the back ground? It seems to be the same one that was in one of the earlier pictures. At least now we know it was red.

Dad was forever tearing things apart and rebuilding them, both for himself, and other people. I think our yard must have looked like a vehicle graveyard, to put it politely. Grandma did say, when he died, they hauled truckloads of stuff to the dump. I stand corrected, after talking to Mom, she said a wind came up and blew the new sheeting of the shed. I can believe that, for there was stacks of it in the yard when I was little and my twin sister got one nasty cut on her leg from it and had to go get stitches. She still has the scar to this day
 Here's that same sad trike Blaine was working on earlier. I think the thing would make a very fun piece of vintage garden decor today, but for riding back then it must have been treacherous. It begs the question, is this a, "hand me down", from a relative or did the oldest kids ride it to death? It's a sure cinch it was no where to be seen by the time I was old enough to ride one. A thing like that a kid would remember. It looks like a child's torture device.

The fact is, I don't remember ever having a trike. I do remember riding one of the neighbors that lived up the street from Uncle Harry & Aunt Ella Genson's, in Snoqualmie. It was a fantastic thing, with bright shiny chrome handlebars and red & white paint. Later, when we came to live with the maternal grandparents, in the little cottage behind Harry and Ella's, I remember having a little bicycle that I truly adored. It was bright blue and just my size. It came to a sudden and bitter end when Mom backed over it with her car, in their driveway one day and mangled it beyond repair.
 How it came to be laying behind her car, when I distinctly remember putting it up beside the house, is one of those childhood mysteries that has always left me puzzled?!  Who borrowed my bike and left it there to be run over?! Whoever it was I'd like to thank them for the undeserved spanking I got as a result of being accused by Mom of leaving it there. Not bitter you understand, just remembering.
As I said above, Cheri was third in the lineup. Her she is helping her big brother Blaine push the twins, Linda Lee and myself, Lesa Lin in their new stroller.
Here is a 1950's Peterson Strolla Rolla. You could assemble these from a kit, which is what dad did. Peterson also invented another stroller called a, "Folda Rolla", which could be collapsed. These were invented by a very talented guy, and it is fortunate he did, because the Strolla Rolla sure came in handy when we came along.

 I was pretty surprised when I first saw this Strolla Rolla online, for Grandma Lillie always said that dad made out stroller by taking two strollers apart and making them into one. I could see how it would be easy to think that, if you didn't see the kit with them in the box, or you only saw them partly completed. So no, dad did not invent this, he just had the arduous task of putting them together. Reminds of so many Christmases when my kids were little, and Mom Hanners bought the grand-kids gifts that said, "Some assembly required." I remember Dad Hanners and Gregg out in the garage toiling away trying to get the presents assembled so the kids could enjoy them. Theirs was not a pleasant task in the cold garage.






Comments

Popular Posts