Wesley Gerald Robison & Yvonne Mary Genson

I would love to be one of those kids who could tell dreamy tales of her parents, but the truth is I don't know that much. These few pictures survive of my parents, and I am guessing that Grandma Lillie took them, as they were taken in her front yard on the lower Cedar Falls Rd, near North Bend, Washington.

What little I do know is that Dad began dating Mom sometime in the early fifties. She was the younger sister of his best friend, Albert "Al" Genson. He was 21 and she was 16 when they married, but they had known each other for years, growing up together in the Snoqualmie Valley. I don't know if they just couldn't afford a wedding, or just why they chose to go to the Justice of the Peace?! According to Grandma Lillie,  they went to Renton, Washington, to the Court House and went before the Justice of the Peace and were married. That was just how she put it, and it always sounded so cut and dried to me. Since grandma was one of the witnesses on their certificate, I will take her word for it. All I can say, is that it didn't sound a bit romantic.
I did find out from Mom that this was the dress she wore on her wedding day, tho this picture is not of that day, for they were married in December and this has hollyhocks in bloom in it, so this had to be taken sometime during the summer of that same year. They do look happy tho, and Mom looks pretty darling. I wonder if she was sad because she didn't get a proper wedding? If she was, she sure wasn't showing it, in this picture. I gotta smile because Dad is wearing the Betty Boop monster t-shirt Mom bought him. They look so young and happy together.
Here is another shot of them, taken at that same time. They do make the cutest couple!
It wasn't long, before the first bundle of joy came along. Angelina Marie, better known as Angie.
Now isn't she having a screaming good time?! Ah, the joy of new parenting! I sure don't miss all those 3 a.m. feedings, babies smelly diapers, and all the rest of it. Cute as babies may be, they are a lot of work. Anyway, Angie was born, August 19, 1953 and was her fathers delight. Tho at first, probably mostly when she was asleep...
Here are two of the same picture, I thought cropping it a bit might help. This is Wes, with his dad, Grandpa Shorty, on the porch steps of Grandpa and Grandma's house on the lower Cedar Falls Rd. Grandpa is holding Angie. Something certainly had caught their eye, but since their isn't another picture showing what, your guess is as good as mine.

All that stacked slab wood, reminds me of the endless slivers my twin sister and I used to get, stacking that nasty red fir. Looks like grandpa and grandma, used the same stuff in their stove as we did. They look just like the mill ends that we got from Tanner Mill.

This picture shows where the original door opening was too. Later grandma enclosed the porch and moved the door to the right hand side. I always thought it was funny as a kid, that her sidewalk ended in the middle of her front wall. Now it is plain to see why.







Comments

Popular Posts